The National Drama Festival, comprise the organization of drama competitions in ten languages, written and spoken in Mauritius.
Following issue of a communique in the press, inviting participation from interested parties, contact is made with groups to inform them about the holding/ organization of the National Drama Festival. Preliminaries are thereafter held, wherein three (3) finalists are selected by members of the Jury.
The National Drama Festival is a tool to promote intercultural dialogue among citizens of different cultural backgrounds. Moreover, besides providing a space for artists, playwrights, directors, costume designers, make-up artists/ designers, decor and set designers, sound & light, property making, sculptors, dancers, musicians among others, the Festival enhances team work.
Moreover, prior to the holding of the National Drama Festival, drama workshops are conducted in secondary schools and drama clubs. Last but not least, assistance is provided to primary schools and non-governmental organisations, in the mounting of plays and cultural activities.
Participating artists/ groups have emerged into private and professional troupes and are very successful and famous on the local scene. Artists (children) have been empowered to become better citizens.
No of artists having benefited from Training in year 2019 - 700
No of participants in the National Drama Festival in year 2019- 1350
No of Audience for the different events in year 2019- 5700
|Name of partner||Type of entity|
Ministry of Education, Tertiary Education, Science and Technology, Cultural Centres, Speaking Unions, Mauritius Film Development Corporation, Socio-Cultural Organisations
* More facilities for theatrical activities to be made available
* Exchange of experience between local artists and foreign artists
* Invite professional troupes to perform in Mauritius
* Invite professionals from abroad to train local artists
* Up to date technology to meet the digital innovative trend together with traditional theatre
* Hold workshops (in connection with theatre) at regional venues, by local professionals