European Culture Forum
The European Culture Forum is a biennial flagship event organised by the European Commission, aimed at raising the profile of European cultural cooperation, uniting the sector's key players, taking stock of the implementation of the European Agenda for Culture, and sparking debate on EU culture policy and initiatives.
The event, also a major networking opportunity, highlights culture's role in breeding talent and creativity. The Forum reflects on culture's contribution to the new Commission's priorities such as innovation, jobs and growth; the digital single market; social cohesion and intercultural dialogue; and Europe's position on the global stage.
During the reporting period, two editions of the Forum were held, in 2013 and 2016 (the second of these was postponed from 2015 as a result of security concerns in Brussels).
The 2013 European Culture Forum focussed on:
- Measuring the true value of culture and the functioning of the cultural eco-system,
- Culture funding and funding models in the digital era,
- Audience development and cultural participation.
The 2013 event also included a special information session on Creative Europe, the EU's flagship culture and audiovisual sector programme for 2014-2020, and the award ceremony of the @diversity pilot project
For more details of the 2013 Forum see http://ec.europa.eu/culture/events/2013/0411-culture-forum_en.htm
The 2016 European Culture Forum plenary debates asked:
- Can culture help to overcome the fragmentation of society?
- Can culture help relaunch economic growth?
- Can culture improve Europe’s standing in the world?
Fifteen flash sessions were also held including on the following themes relevant to the Convention:
· Cultural diversity in the Digital Single Market and a modernised copyright framework
· Culture in EU external relations
· Culture and development
· Research and innovation opportunities in the field of culture
· Investing in the cultural and creative sectors
· Interactive theatre as a tool to address conflict situations
For more details of the 2016 Forum see http://ec.europa.eu/culture/forum/
Over 1200 participants attended the 2013 Forum, and over 800 attended the 2016 Forum (which took place in a smaller venue).
For details of the 2013 Forum see http://ec.europa.eu/culture/events/2013/0411-culture-forum_en.htm
For details of the 2016 Forum see http://ec.europa.eu/culture/forum/
See also Twitter posts from participants https://twitter.com/search?q=europeancultureforum&src=typd
Internal evaluations on the contracts (primarily financial aspects).