Arts and Culture Recovery Programme for Greater Christchurch
Ministry for Culture and Heritage
Key objectives of the measure:
- Restore and extend broad participation in arts and cultural activities, and with heritage collections in Greater Christchurch.
- Recover infrastructure and enhance the way arts, culture and heritage collections contribute to the reinvigoration of Greater Christchurch for present and future generations.
- Commemorate the people lost as a result of the earthquakes and recognise the effects of the earthquakes on the wider community.
Scope of the measure:
Nature of the measure:
Main feature of the measure:
The Arts and Culture Recovery Programme for Greater Christchurch, led by the Ministry for Culture and Heritage, is an outcome of the Ministry’s work to coordinate the Government’s support for the arts and culture recovery of Christchurch following the 2011 and 2012 earthquakes. The Ministry established a Joint Agency Group (JAG), with representatives from Christchurch City Council, the Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority and Creative New Zealand. JAG meets and works with representatives from the local sector and other funders to improve coordination of the Government's support for arts and culture recovery.
Results expected through the implementation of the measure:
- Reinstall the region’s unique sense of character and identity.
- Serve as a source of pride for its multi-cultural community.
- Drive urban regeneration, bringing cultural, social and economic benefit to the region.
Financial resources allocated to implement the measure:
Unable to determine
Area(s) of Monitoring