Project implementation period:
April, 2011 to April, 2012
About the project:
The Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Communication aims to design and carry out a national study on the contribution of the cultural sector to the social and economic development of Burkina-Faso. The resulting statistics and findings will guide the work of national officials and strengthen arguments to promote culture as a factor of development.
Country of applicant:
Funds allocated (in USD):
Title of the section:
- Creating a multidisciplinary team of experts;
- Designing the survey to cover 13 regions of Burkina Faso;
- Holding training sessions for the pollsters;
- Collection of data, along with the organization of a media campaign to encourage participation in the process;
- Collecting and analyzing the collected data; and
- Ensuring publication and national dissemination of the results of the study, including through mass media.
Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Communication
Director of Studies and Planifications (DEP)
Year of application:
Friday, January 1, 2010
- Measured the potential impact of culture on job creation (1.78% of the national workforce) and on its contribution to the country’s GDP (2.02%).
- Collected information in 10 out of Burkina Faso’s 13 regions to create a database of the cultural sector. With this tool the impact of culture on the country’s GDP and employment rates can be measured. Mapped the cultural sector in Burkina Faso.
- The results of the mapping exercise informed the country's 2015 "Strategy de croissance accélérée et de développement durable" (SCADD)